Blog #10: Japanese Food

 Many years before I had the privilege of traveling all throughout Japan, I would semi-annually visit one of my favorite restaurants in Las Vegas, Raku. Now, for my local, foodie compatriots, I started drooling over Raku long before Raku Sweets even existed. I used to go after finishing 2 shows with “O” and I’d be lying if I didn’t say that I’d be dreaming of Raku’s tofu while singing Nostalgie and looking out at the 1800 (often filled) seats at the Bellagio Theater. The restaurant is open until 2am, so I could still make a 12:15am reservation. It’s one of the few reasons I would EVER eat at that hour but the nice thing about traditional Japanese restaurants is that they serve proper portion sizes for a nutritious diet so eating dinner at 12:15 didn't feel quite so bad. Raku serves a combination of sashimi, appetizers, grilled items and noodles/rice. I am going to highlight 5 of my favorite dishes from this award winning restaurant, just off the strip in Chinatown, for you. 



Let’s start with Raku’s Tofu. To all of my non- tofu eaters, you DO NOT have to be a fan of tofu to thoroughly enjoy and appreciate this dish. I know that sounds weird to say, but it's so special and different from what you may have tried form the grocery store or at other restaurants that I am whole heartedly encouraging you to dive in and give this a go. To me, this dish is all about the texture and it’s home made accompaniments. In fact, every last thing about it is home made, from the tofu itself to the soy sauce and green tea salt. The dish comes with chopped chives and bonito flakes (dried, fermented and smoked skipjack tuna). It may look very plain to the naked eye but as I’ve explained in previous blogs, Japanese food is at it’s best when it is simple and fresh. The tofu itself is very mild in flavor so the accompaniments are a key component.There are 2 different ways that are suggested for eating this creamy, melt-in-your-mouth tofu. The first way is to load up your bite with the chives and bonito flakes and drizzle it with the slightly thick and syrupy home made soy sauce. You will almost want to let this sit on your tongue for an extra few seconds just to revel in this flavor combo before chewing and swallowing. Oh ya, it’s that good. The second way is to simply dunk your tofu into a bit of scattered green tea salt. Personally, I like to alternate my bites as these two flavor profiles are quite different yet equally delightful. This is a craveable dish and you too will dream about it after experiencing it. I would bet money on it. 



The next dish I’d like to highlight is the yellowtail carpaccio. Yellowtail is also called hamachi, just so you know how to recognize my favorite fish on the planet. Carpaccio is simply a meat or fish, cut very thin, and served raw. So once again, simplicity and freshness for the win! The quality here is in the pure and refreshing taste as well as the knife skills required to get these perfectly thin cuts. If you like raw fish, you will not be disappointed. 



Let’s move on to the grill portion of the menu. Now, if you are used to Beni-Hana or Shogun where they grill large portions of meat right in front of you, this is not what you should be expecting at Raku. This grilling is done in the kitchen and brought out in bite size pieces, on sticks and in small bowls. The Kobe beef with wasabi is to die for. Take it from me, I have eaten kobe beef IN Kobe, a couple of times. The mark of a good piece of this wagyu beef is the flavor and tenderness. This Tajima-Gyu (Japanese Cattle) is raised to strict standards, thus the steep price. But here, you can try a delectable bite with that spicy wasabi kick for a reasonable cost.


I would also recommend the asparagus with bacon, a beautiful pairing of flavors and textures.

Last but not least, the butter sautéed scallop with soy sauce. This rich in flavor (yet light in feeling) dish will, without a doubt, leave you wanting more (and go ahead, order more).

Keep in mind that the soy sauce here doesn't taste like your store bought, super salty soy sauce. It’s all made in house. 


I can’t leave you without mentioning the stunning array of sake glasses that are offered to you when you order sake. I love this little artistic touch that truly makes you feel like you have stepped through a porthole and into a small eatery right in the heart of a Japanese town. I always take a moment to choose the piece of pottery or ceramic beauty that tugs at my heartstrings. Why not drink your sake out of something hand made and lovely? Of course Raku doesn't leave out a single detail. 


There are numerous other, worthy of mention, delectable treats at Raku. In fact, I didn't even touch on the rice and noodles dishes. I simply shared with you what I usually order and have been ordering since 2012. I haven’t been to Raku recently (sniff, sniff) due to cutting back on outings in these pandemic driven times, but I will continue to dream of the tofu, if not at the Bellagio Theater, than from the comfort of my bed, in my casita, in Spring Valley. I’ll be back…and you should put it on your list too. 



Restaurant: Raku

5030 Spring Mountain Rd.

Las Vegas, NV 89146

Spring Valley

(Reservation Needed)

702-367-3511


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Blog #24: What Would Dylan Do?

Blog #13: Fresh out of Water