Blog #20: A Quickie

 


Some days get away from you. Today was a day of service for me so, I don’t mind that it effected my usual routine of either writing or exercising, first thing in the morning. I still wanted to share a little something that I discovered today!


I love broccoli. Usually, I roast it, but sometimes you don’t have the time for all that and sautéing can get you a quicker result. However, up to this point, I hadn’t figured out the best way to get the right texture on my broccoli when pan frying without either using too much oil or it seeming a bit underdone. This recipe seems to work perfectly. 


For one head of chopped broccoli, use 2 tablespoons of oil. Put the broccoli in, salt to taste and leave in pan (without touching it!) for 5 minutes. After 5 minutes stir and add 1/8 a cup of chicken stock! There it is! That’s the key! The chicken stock! That’s a lot of exclamation points but, It adds just the right amount of moisture to really cook the stalks of the broccoli all the way through without making the dish soggy. A vegetable stock will work as well. Such a great discovery. Cover, and cook for 1 minute. Uncover and stir. Add one clove of chopped garlic and crushed red pepper flakes to taste. Cover and cook for one more minute. Aaaaaand- finished! All in all, a 10 minute dish. This is probably going  to be my new “go-to” side vegetable, just because of ease, simplicity and taste. A touch blackened on the outside (from not flipping it for 5 minutes) and cooked perfectly all the way through. 


Try it out and let me know what you think in the comments below! Also, anything new you’ve discovered? I’d love to hear about it. Now get to cookin’! 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Blog #24: What Would Dylan Do?

Blog #13: Fresh out of Water