Blog #30: Remembering Portugal




Portugal is a magical place with it’s storybook castles on hilltops, Baroque and Romanesque architecture, it’s warm and kind people who smile when you try but butcher their language, it’s dark and almost brooding Fado music in small cafes, it’s wine festivals in the most picturesque settings and of course, it’s food. I got to spend a week in this beautiful country a few years back and every single day was rich with history, culture, romanticism, music and unique flavors. I’d like to share just a few of those flavors with you today. 


Bacalhau a Gomes de Sa


Bacalhau is a salted and dried cod with a very intense flavor that can be a lot to handle on its own. However it is probably the single most popular and common dish in Portugal and therefore, a must try. For me, the flavor was a bit overwhelming by itself, but in this dish, it was perfectly balanced and incredibly tasty. It is basically a casserole with shredded cod, potatoes, caramelized onions, boiled eggs and olives. This dish is usually dressed with olive oil and flavored with chopped garlic. It is traditionally prepared on Christmas but lucky for us tourists, it can be found in many small, dimly lit, cozy little restaurants as well. Sadly, I have never seen this dish on a menu in the US and my mouth is watering just thinking about it. 



Bolinhos de Bacalhau


Trying to save a little money or just need a delicious afternoon snack? These little deep fried, oval shaped patties of salted cod and potatoes might do the trick! Notice a pattern here already? The Portuguese love their cod. In fact, I first came to know of Bacalhau when I was living in Hawaii and the strong Portuguese influence on the islands due to the immigration of plantation workers back in the day. In Hawaii, the dried cod is mixed into a salad of sorts with Maui onions and lettuce but I never saw this preparation in Portugal. I did, however, often indulge in this tiny, fried snack.Mmmmm. 



Grilled Sardines


I’ve never been a fan of canned sardines! They always just seemed a little too “fishy”. But, when in Rome, I mean, Lisbon, you just have to go for it. And boy am I glad I did. There is this misconception among humans that we don’t like something because we’ve only ever had the mushy, smelly, canned version of it all of our lives. Ask yourself this when traveling, “but have I had it, fresh?!”, and if your answer is no, give it a go! Grilled sardines are as fresh as they come in Portugal and extremely delicious. They are usually served with a simple boiled potato and I promise you, you won’t be left wanting for more. Pair it with a nice, light Vino Tinto from the Douro Valley and you have yourself a perfect meal. 


2 CHEESES



Queijo da Sarra da Estrela


Well, I hate to admit this, but I really did not like this cheese. I first discovered it sitting wrapped on a restaurant table, and I ripped into it like a present as it was calling my name. I dunked a crusty piece of bread right into the soft center and almost had to spit it out, the flavor was so incredibly strong. To me, it tasted like an extreme version of a blue cheese with the texture of a brie. I really wanted to like it. I really did. But, alas, this cheese lover had to admit that this particular variety had thrown her for a loop. Oh, and by the way, even though this cheese is sitting on the table when you arrive, you still get charged for it if you open it (just as an FYI). 



Sao Jorge 


This cheese saved me in the sense that I didn’t want to leave Portugal thinking the local cheese was horrible (to my taste)! So, enjoying this with some fresh olives and a small jug of red wine definitely expanded my mind and satiated my cheese loving taste buds. This cheese comes from the Azores (islands of Portugal) and this one is named after the island that shares its name. This is a semi hard cheese with a much more palatable and pleasant flavor although still robust and even a little spicy. I would have this again in a heartbeat, if I were ever to see it in the US, but I do not believe that I will. These are the special moments to be cherished. A local bite of something unique that you may or may not ever try again. 



Pastel de Nata


This is an iconic, Portuguese dessert made of a sweet and creamy egg custard. I always prefer my eggs in a savory way so I am never drawn to eggy sweets but this will turn even the most suspicious of people. There is something about the texture that is at once rich and light, crispy and soft, crusty and creamy. How they accomplish this is beyond me, but if you buy a little box of them, you’ll be tempted to eat them for breakfast, as a snack and for lunch! They are almost addicting. 


There are so, so many more foods worth mentioning in Portugal so there may need to be a part 2 to this entry but in the meantime, have I spiked your interest yet? Everything about the food in this country, the wine it is paired with and the setting within which it’s consumed is charming beyond description. If Portugal was never on your bucket list, I encourage you to add it now. I don’t know anyone who has been there and had something bad to say. It is such a well rounded experience to travel there, and the food itself is simply the icing on the cake. 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Blog #24: What Would Dylan Do?

Blog #13: Fresh out of Water