Blog #34: Customer Service Matters, even in a Pandemic

 



I recently had a terrible dining experience. I was so shocked because it’s very rare that this happens in Las Vegas. The restaurants are sweepingly delicious. The variety is second to none. The service, while it has faltered a bit since the pandemic (let’s cut them a break in lieu of the circumstances) hasn’t been awful. But this recent experience was just plain not good. However, because of how wonderful the manager was in the end, I am not going to mention the name, until I go back and dine there again, as I was invited to do so. I’m willing to give them a second chance because, well, customer service matters, and she (the manager) put us first.


In a nutshell, one entree was completely bland and lacking in any flavor and the other entree came out one hour after the first, also being the worst version of the thing that I ordered. It was so tasteless, and the elements in it were overcooked. It seemed as though it had been thrown together but it literally took one hour longer than the other entree to come out and grace our table. Perhaps it was forgotten and just sitting under a heat lamp? Who knows. In any case, I was not pleased and I decided to talk to the manager about it. 


I’ll have you all know that I was in the service industry, on and off, for 10 years of my life so, I know what it’s like to be on both sides. I tend to over-tip (to make up for all of the under-tippers….I mean, don’t they know that this is how servers pay their rent?), and be exceedingly kind to all of the staff. There is a way to be honest about terrible food, while still being considerate, calm and polite. So, that’s exactly what I did. I smiled and introduced myself to the manager who smiled and did the same. I told her that I was a foodbllogger and that I have eaten at many of the surrounding restaurants (and named a few) and that I generally have great experiences. I proceeded to tell her that while our server was great, the food was not and that I was very disappointed in the delays and the quality. She saw that I had barely touched my entree. She was everything a manager should be. Concerned, apologetic, kind and immediately said she would take it off of the bill. Honestly, I wasn’t even looking for a free meal, however, when a customer is totally dissatisfied and is about to leave hungry, it’s the right thing to do. She was honest in saying that she was disappointed that I had had that experience because there were so many wonderful things on the menu and I asked her, sincerely, to share what her favorites were. She did and said, “I really hope that you give us another chance”, and I said, “OK- I will”, because I could feel her genuineness. When she left the table, I thought she’d be returning with a reduced check, but instead, she came back with that, their most popular dessert (on the house) and her business card, and said to please call her directly before I go to dine with them again so that she could see that I was looked after. 


While this meal left more than a little to be desired, the customer service was impeccable. For this reason, I will not name this restaurant and give it a bad review until I can go back and have a fresh experience. Sometimes, people, places and things deserve second chances. The person I was dining with said he was so impressed with how I handled the situation and the calmness with which I spoke (as he knows me very well and knows how I can get when I’m starving!) and that he believed that was why the results were so positive. Maybe it was a lesson for me too. Now, I can look back on this experience, and smile a tiny smile, as in the end, everyone won. 

Comments

  1. Great write-up of a less than pleasant dining experience! I think that customer service should always match the quality of the product they are trying to sell.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Blog #24: What Would Dylan Do?

Blog #13: Fresh out of Water