Blog #36: Poutine

 



One of my first visits to Montreal was being flown out to the Cirque du Soleil headquarters to attend rehearsals for “Saltimbanco”, a show that toured for 20 years. It was such a thrill to be there, amidst the inner workings of such a fine tuned machine, with the costume shop, the training facilities, the casting offices and the cafeteria (even the food there was amazing!).  The decor was playful and quirky, like the big tops themselves and I’ll never forget that feeling of being surrounded by some of the greatest athletes and artists in the world. Little did I know that I’d be back, 3 more times, for rehearsals with various Cirque shows and that I’d eventually live there with my ex-husband. Montreal is a gorgeous city with stunning autumns and unbearable winters. My favorite month there was October, when the maple leaves would turn the most brilliant shades of burnt red and crimson and the changing colors were like a painting. 


There are many foods that I remember enjoying, several of them from French roots, such as croissants (to this day, the best I’ve ever had outside of Paris), savory crepes, cherry glazed, roasted duck and the most delicious, creamy sauces. However, the one that stands out the most is the famous poutine. 



The basic description of poutine is french fries topped with cheese curd and gravy. It sounds pretty simple, right? Well, believe it or not, it’s not so easy to be made to perfection! This dish became famous in Quebec around the 1950’s and hasn’t lost an ounce of popularity since. It is often associated with following a night of throwing back one too many drinks and needing a greasy treat to soak up some of the alcohol in order to get a good nights rest. However, poutine can be enjoyed anywhere, at any time. One of the most popular poutine joints in Montreal is La Banquise, open 24 hours and always graced with a line out the door. This place is special because while you, of course, can get the traditional preparation, there are also a plethora of other options such as “La Elvis” (topped with ground beef, green peppers and mushrooms) or “La Dan Dan” (topped with pepperoni, bacon and onions). While I tried quite a few of the (30) different offerings at this Montreal staple, I must say that I’m partial to the original recipe! Just give me some crispy fries, with real cheese curd (it has to be cheese CURD) and piping hot gravy (to melt the cheese a bit). The texture of the fries, the flavor and heat of the gravy and the squeakiness of the cheese is all integral to having the perfect poutine. 


Nowadays, you don’t have to be in Canada to enjoy this decadent snack/meal. Las Vegas has many places that offer it as well, from Fries N’ Pies to Naked City Pizza. I do have fond memories of waiting in that line at La Banquis, though. Knowing what you were about to put in your belly made it so worth the wait. Anticipation can create excitement, don’t you agree? Now go out and try some in your own city and you too will know this joy that I speak (write) of! Bon Appetit! 

Comments

  1. I always love poutine:) I Like how you mentioned "greasy treat to soak up the alcohol, in order to get a good nights sleep" haha :))

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Blog #24: What Would Dylan Do?

Blog #13: Fresh out of Water