Blog #39: 5 Ingredients to Dinner





Sometimes, when I want to try something new, I search google for a 5 ingredient meal. Now that I have the insta-pot, I search specifically for quick and easy meals using that! I’ll be honest, the insta-pot is not as “instant” as it claims to be and I am still learning about it, but this recipe turned out really yummy, so I’d like to share it. 


CARNITA’S SOUP


-3 cups of carnitas (you can buy it already cooked from the refrigerated section of Trader Joes)

-1 pound of yukon gold potatoes, diced

-6 cups of chicken stock

-2 teaspoons of cumin

-1 jar of salsa verde (16 ounces)


Options for toppings: avocado, cilantro, jalapeƱos, shredded, pepper jack cheese. I used all of them.


So, this just couldn’t be easier. Dump it all in the pot and mix. 


Close the lid and set vent to “sealing”. Press “manual” followed by “pressure” until the light on “high pressure” goes on. Then adjust the +/- buttons until you get to 8 minutes. Cook. After it has cooked, slowly turn the vent to “venting” and wait until all of the steam has released (the valve will drop when it is ready). Remove the lid and add salt and pepper to taste. Spoon it up, top it off and enjoy! This is a lovely, warm and comforting dish. It is also very filling without leaving you with that overly stuffed feeling. This makes about 6 servings. 


Side note: If it is your first time using an insta-pot, be forewarned that the times listed on the recipes are not accurate because the pot takes an additional 5-15 minutes to heat up before it starts counting down the minutes to which you have set it. 


For my Vegetarians: I would suggest trying this recipe with vegetable stock and your favorite bean in lieu of the meat! I don’t see why that couldn’t work. The salsa verde gives it such a nice flavor and your whole house will smell like cumin after. 


Give it a whirl. While it doesn’t really feel like it in Las Vegas, it’s still winter for 3 more weeks (my favorite time to make soups). Enjoy!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Blog #24: What Would Dylan Do?

Blog #13: Fresh out of Water