Blog #41: My Mother’s Musings




As of late, my mom has been sending my sister, Dad and I some e-mails with attached notes she has kept about some of her travels from the past. They have been highly entertaining to read and her memory for details is astounding. She’s always loved to write too but has been so busy, well, for basically her whole life and I hope that soon, with her retirement finally on the horizon, she’ll return to some of these simple pleasures. 


This excerpt is from her travels to South Africa.


She and my dad came to see me perform as the Chanteuse in Cirque du Soleil’s “Saltimbanco” in Cape Town. I know we all have fond memories of the trip. South Africa blew my mind in every way.

The natural beauty, the vineyards, the wild animals, the warm people and their broad, toothy grins, the clouds that would drip over the mountains in such a way that earned them the title “wedding veil’s” and the deep, rich, sorted history that gives the place a certain complexity that is hard to explain. 


My mom kept detailed accounts of what she learned about the birds, the monkeys, the ostriches, the history, etc, but the part I’m sharing, is related to…you guessed it, the FOOD. 


“Stays- First stayed at a place called Southern Sun. This is where Cirque had put up Sujana. Nice place and friendly staff. An unforgettable experience was at a restaurant here. Being a Vegetarian, my options are limited. So, one night I ordered a soup which I did not like, took a few sips and left the rest. The cook came and asked me why I did not finish it, did I not like it, what did I like that he could make for me, etc. I told him it was fine, I was just full, but he would not listen and made me a new meal which was excellent. Have never encountered that kind of service anywhere in the world. We were told only to take cabs that they recommended and if possible, not to go out after 9 at night. We went to Grand West Theatre, which was about an hour away, to see Sujana perform. Wonderful show and place around was beautiful with shops, restaurants, etc. Coming back, we had to take a cab back from there and were kind of nervous because the cab kept stopping here and there and we did not know what was happening. To be cont’d.”- Revathi Chand


There is a warm feeling when someone recounts a memory, in writing, that you were present for and a part of. I remember this dining experience in the hotel, the kindness and generosity of the chef and the beautiful array of colorful, cooked vegetables that adorned the following dish, after his keen eye noticed the untouched soup. Receiving this level of attention and kindness in a restaurant is rare to, well, never. Did I mention that all of the food in South Africa is naturally organic because chemical pesticides are not used? This could be a headache for the farmers but what a bonus for the hungry consumer! The food, overall, was excellent. You could taste the freshness and quality in every bite. I know I’ve mentioned it once before but, customer service matters. Anytime a person recounts a positive, travel experience, customer service is almost always on the top of the list.


On a personal note, I’m glad that she mentioned the name of the theatre that I performed at in Cape Town. I wish I too had kept better notes of all of my travels for work! I will share with you one thing about the opening scene of Saltimbanco.



“Places”, the stage manager calls, and I walk, in the dark to the hole in the middle of the stage to set myself. The stage is built in such a way that it is raised towards the back, and it drops off, like a cliff, behind me. I walk, in the dark, along this raised stage, and gingerly step on to a raised stool, about 2 ft by 2ft in diameter (in other words, ridiculously tiny), in the DARK. My legs start trembling, as I imagine myself falling backward and crashing to my death. I know it’s a dark thought. A dark thought, in the DARK.  In fact, one of the other singers was so petrified of that opening moment that she would have to practice it in sound check in every new venue.The music starts, and I start to sing, as a hot, spot light, slowly comes in on my face and body. Slowly, as I breathe, phonate and sing sounds, my legs stop trembling and I find my strength. I can see the floor in front of me out of the corner of my eye. I am grounded in my breathe. I am alive. I begin to sing, “kumbalawe mana, kumbala we mana”,…..and the show has begun. 


Work led to travel and travel led to discovering new foods and behaviors around them. I'm grateful for these spectacular memories. We’ll all make more of them soon. Thanks Ma, for remembering and recounting these special times. 

Comments

  1. That’s awesome! So glad she shared that with you, and you shared it with us. I would have been petrified of that tiny stool in the dark and had similar dark thoughts. Glad you always found your footing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, yes...I love the double meaning in your kind comment. We do always find our footing, even in the darkest moments. Thank you for reading and responding!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Blog #24: What Would Dylan Do?

Blog #13: Fresh out of Water