Blog #19: WINE (on a budget)

 


While I can’t exactly call myself a wine connoisseur, …yet, (I’m working on it!) I can say that I have a passion for tasting and appreciating wines and after visiting at least 75 wineries (between Australia, South Africa and 8 states in the US) in my lifetime, I can safely say that a wine tasting and all that it encompasses (the ambiance, the locations, the art of it all and that little, happy buzz) is one of my favorite things to do while traveling. It’s also a fun way to see/meet a mix of both locals and tourists alike! There’s something sort of refined yet not too uppity about it. It’s always such a pleasure when you find a hidden gem and you can take a bottle or two back to enjoy in the comfort of your home, while remembering that beautiful day, sipping slowly , amidst the grape vines and rolling hills. Some of these wineries look like heaven on earth…not just in Napa and Sonoma but even in places like Los Olivos and Santa Ynez, just outside of Santa Barbara. Also, did you know that the most stunningly picturesque wineries I’ve ever seen in my life (and keep in mind, I’m a California girl) are along the Garden Route in South Africa? I’ve never seen anything like it. It actually puts Napa and Sonoma to shame. Who knew? Probably not Americans, because you’ll be hard pressed to find a Pinotage (an excellent, South African wine) at any establishments in the US (although I do recall seeing a bottle on the menu at  a restaurant in Pasadena, CA). 


While there are millions of wines in the world to try, taste and discover, today, I am going to be talking about wines on a budget. In other words, I would like to share with you some of my favorite wines the can be purchased in the US for under $15.00. One of my favorite books on wine is “Wine Simple” by Aldo Sohm. Although he is a word class Sommelier, he says something to the effect of…the best wine is the wine you like. He also knows about the finest, most expensive wines in the world, but shares that most of the bottles in his home for regular drinking do not exceed $20.00. Well, there ya go. Advice from a wealthy, wine connoisseur! So, I’ve been keeping a log of the wines I’ve tried over the past years, and here are some of my favorites for the price point. I’ll start with the whites and end with the reds. 


CHARDONNAY


Sphere- Central Coast Chardonnay (Napa County)

2018

Butter and cream with a slight touch of baked apple

Very easy and pleasant to drink

$6.99 at Trader Joes 


PINOT GRIGIO


Villa Sonia- Venezia, Italy

Peach and pear overtones

Extremely light and enjoyable

$6.99 at Trader Joes


RIESLING


Emma Reichart- Riesling (Dry)- Germany

2019

Citrus blossom, lemon, honeycomb

dry and complex 

$8.99 at Trader Joes


SAUVIGNON BLANC


Les Portes De Bordeaux- Sauvignon Blanc (white Bordeaux wine)- Bordeaux, France

2018

Slightly sweet

great for Summer

$6.99 at Trader Joes


PROSECCO


Zonin Prosecco- Barboursville Vineyards, Virginia

Honeysuckle and melon

Vibrant and crisp

$8.99 at Trader Joes


CHAMPAGNE


*There are NO champagnes for under $15!! However, splurge once in a while (for a special occasion) on a nice bottle of Charles De Marques ($24.99 at Trader Joes) or Veuve Clicqout (between $45-60).



PINOT NOIR


Revelation- Pays D’oc, France

2018

Floral and berry

palate is complex, rich and long

$5.99 at Trader Joes


SYRAH/SHIRAZ


Purple Moon- California

2012

Jammy

satisfying

around $5.00 at Trader Joes 


RED ZINFANDEL


Peachy Canyon- Paso Robles, CA

Black cherry and rhubarb

a lovely wine!

$10.99 at Trader Joes


PORTUGUESE

Grao Vasco Vinho Tinto- Carvalhais, Portugal

2018

Young berries

delicate and smooth

balanced

$9.99 at Total Wine and More


MALBEC


Alamos- Mendoza, Argentina

Cassis and raspberry with a touch of chocolate

can be paired with anything

$8.99 at Trader Joes




MERLOT


Monterra- Monterey, CA

2018

Black fruit and toasted oak

Great from the first sip

$8.99 at Trader Joes


CABERNET SAUVIGNON


Spiral Cellars- Napa Valley, CA

Plum and warm spice

refined

$10.99 at Trader Joes


Of course, I have had FAR more expensive wines throughout my 23 years of drinkable age and I have also purchased wines from a plethora of places that are not Trader Joes (however, I swear by the fact that they have the best rotating selection for the price points in the US) but hey, why not try some of these incredibly affordable wines at a time when many of us are struggling through the financial repercussions of this pandemic? A few of my favorites, at just a slightly higher price point, include Meiomi, Banshee, Potek and Lytton Springs (all California wines!) and I’ve had the pleasure of visiting 2 of those wineries as well. Although I was crushed by not being able to start or complete my European singing contract with Princess last year (ugh- it still brings tears to my eyes), I will visit wineries in Europe someday!! That will be a vacation that will be high on my list. 


Sante! 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Blog #24: What Would Dylan Do?

Blog #13: Fresh out of Water