Blog #22: Hummus Bowls & Wraps- Restaurant Review

  



Being Indian American, I grew up eating Channa Masala, a chickpea curry with tomatoes and spices. I looked forward to this meal and the marriage of this dish and Indian homemade breads. Our family also appreciated Middle Eastern food which there was a fair bit of, growing up in Fresno, CA, so, hummus was introduced to me at a young age. I knew I loved channa, so the flavor of hummus was familiar and comforting to me. Of course, hummus, made of sesame, chick pea, lemon and salt is a very different flavor profile than curry, but, I fell in love with it pretty instantly. While I’ve been eating and enjoying it for the past 40 years, I feel like it has gained popularity over the past 15 years or so, being a great option for vegans, and a healthy alternative to meat. So,I’d like to encourage you to try Hummus Bowls and Wraps, the build your own hummus bowl or wrap eatery in Sumerlin, NV (2 other locations in LV as well). It is a truly delicious experience, from the minute you walk through the door to the feeling when you leave, full and satisfied, without the guilt that is often attached. 


I went to this eatery with 2 friends of mine (which means I got to try 3-4 different things!)  and we were greeted with friendly smiles from all of the staff and management team. The space has a clean and warm feeling, with plants and lovely light fixtures, creating an inviting decor.


We all decided to try the bowls, and let me tell you, the options are endless! Think of your favorite sashimi bowl or Korean bowl place (with a base of rice/veg, a protein and toppings plus sauce) and this is the recipe that Hummus Bowls and Wraps follows.  Sometimes, when you have too many options, the creation of your meal can feel daunting. Not to worry! The staff is happy to give you suggestions or, you can try one of the 3 concoctions we had today! 



Bowl #1: 


Spinach and Artichoke Hummus

Flame Grilled Beef

Rice

Tabouli

Spinach/ Kale

Tomatoes

Cucumbers

Kalamata Olives

Garlic Sauce (house fave)

Red Pepper Sauce

Cilantro


This bowl was a hearty, nutritious treat. I would describe this combination of flavors as earthy and savory. The hummus was creamy, the beef was perfectly seasoned and the rice had just enough herbs in it to give it the flavor of a pilaf. The sauces were to die for. I would definitely go for the garlic sauce again as I do not shy away form garlic. It went down fast because my body was craving these ingredients. A meal like this makes you feel strong after, not heavy or lethargic. Absolutely wonderful. 


Bowl #2


Baba Ganoush Hummus

Lentils

Mixed Greens

Braised Beef

Grilled Chicken

Feta

Pickled Onions

Pomegranate

Red Pepper Sauce

Mint Tzatziki


This bowl was my favorite for 2 reasons. The feta (giving it that nice, salty, tangy touch) and the pomegranate (giving it a pop of sweetness and crunch). Feta is a Greek, brined, white cheese so naturally, it would pair perfectly with these other Middle Eastern/Turkish/Greek flavors. Pomegranate is also used  a lot in Persian cooking and provides a delightful compliment to the other flavors int this dish and profile. The chef was kind enough to suggest these particular mix in’s and, well, I think it’s safe to say that you can always trust the chef. He knew what he was doing while building this bowl. If you’re a first timer, might I suggest this beautiful combination of ingredients? I think you will thank me later. 



Bowl #3:


Spicy Hummus

Lentils

Braised Beef and Roasted Vegetables

Spinah/Arugula

Pickled Onions

Cucumbers

Hot Chili Harissa Sauce


Where are all of my spicy food lovers? This one’s for you! Between the spicy hummus and the harissa sauce, there’s going to be a party in your mouth for sure, but make sure you can handle the heat! Harissa is a Tunisian chili pepper paste and is known for being HOT. There are other spices in there that round out the flavors but it is not for the faint at heart. The braised beef is so moist and tender, you will be surprised that you got it at an over-the-counter service eatery. The quality here is high, folks. And let me tell you, what an absolute bang for your buck…nothing over $12.00 on the menu. 


We were also treated to a bowl of Vegan Lentil and Chard Soup.


I actually love lentil soups, especially in the winter, and the added touch of chard (a green, leafy vegetable) just elevated both the flavor and nutritional value. We couldn’t finish it, but it had nothing to do with the flavor. Those bowls were hearty! I’ll just have to go back and order just the soup sometime. Soooo good. 


I’d like to thank the team at Hummus Bowls and Wraps for their hospitality and kindness. They outdid themselves. And truly, this is just some high quality, nutritious, delicious and affordable food. Also, your heart and waistline will thank you later for it! What could be better than eating something that is totally tasty and good for you in every way, at the same time? Checking this place out is a MUST, my Vegas family. Don’t walk, but run on over to Hummus Bowls and Wraps. And take a couple of friends with you. Eat consciously. 



Hummus Bowls and Wraps

1000 S. Rampart Blvd.

Las Vegas, NV 89145 

www.hummusbowls.com


*Subscribe to Out-N-About with Ali's youtube channel for more fun details (soon to come) about this great little spot*


Comments

  1. These all look amazing! I especially would like to try bowl #3 :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Blog #24: What Would Dylan Do?

Blog #13: Fresh out of Water