Blog #25: Lotus of Siam- Restaurant Review

 


It’s not everyday that you can walk into a restaurant that you just saw featured on a celebrity chef’s show and try the amazing dishes that were highlighted, but in Las Vegas, you can. This is just one of the many reasons that a city like this is a foodie’s very own heaven! For my fellow Nevadans (or just travelers!), check out Padma Lakshmi’s, “Taste The Nation”, episode 9, featuring Thai food in Las Vegas and you can have the same, heightened dining experience that I just had. I can’t recommend it enough. This restaurant is absolutely delicious in every sense of the word and it comes as no surprise that it has survived the test of time. 


In “Taste The Nation”, Chef Saipin speaks from the heart about her immigrant experience with her husband, starting from scratch with barely a penny to their names and children to support. Introducing fresh, high quality, Northern Thai (many different dishes from what even Thai food fanatics are used to) food to Las Vegas residents was an uphill battle. The locals were reluctant to pay the prices (which in my humble opinion, are completely warranted) and the restaurant struggled to stay afloat. Decades later, Lotus of Siam is a multi-award winning, incredibly reviewed, local (and adventurous tourists) favorite that continues to satisfy and wow it’s customers, night after night. One thing that Chef Saipin said in response to Padma’s question, “Were you scared?”, (regarding the challenges they initially faced) was, “I have 10 fingers on 2 hands. I was not scared”. Let that be an inspiration to you all (as it certainly stuck with me). Where there is a will, there is a way. 



NAM KAO TOD


I have been eating Thai food since I was about 6 years old and I had never tried this dish until I first visited Lotus of Siam. This is a crispy rice appetizer, sprinkled with peanuts, dry chilis, pork sausage, green onions, and cilantro. The slightly tangy, citrusy taste in contrast to the subtle heat along with the salty meat and crispy crunch of the rice provides a burst of flavor that you will crave and dream about. It’s a must try. However, beware; it is deceivingly filling! I would suggest sharing between 3 people so you can enjoy the rest of your dishes with ease. 



GARLIC PRAWNS


When too many things on a menu catch my eye and I can’t make a decision, I always ask my server what the best selling dishes are as well as what their favorite is. Although we had already decided on this one, it was confirmed by our excellent waiter- a unanimous vote for Garlic Prawns. These are the bestselling dish on the menu. The prawns are deep fried with their shells still attached (but don’t be misled, the fleshy meat of the prawn is butterflied out of the shell so when it is deep fried, it almost looks like 2 chips that are stuck together) which is perfect for both the adventurous and not so adventurous eater. It is then sautéed in a garlic sauce and covered with the perfect amount of pepper, full of flavor but not too spicy. Oh my god, I've had tasty fried shrimp before, but not like this!!!! Not to mentions, prawns are bigger than shrimp, so this is a substantial amount of food so you will not feel like you’re lacking in any way. Another MUST. TRY. 



KHAO SOI


Now, if you decide to do as I did, and watch the episode first, there will be no way you can overlook this dish. Padma gets to make the dish with Chef Saipin herself and it will have your mouth watering every step of the way. I thought it seemed familiar when I realized that I had tried it once at the famed “Burma Superstar”, but I think that that version had a boiled egg on top. This dish is made with egg noodles, sitting in a soup of curry sauce, topped with a meat of your choice (might I suggest the melt-in-your-mouth short rib?), and a side of red onions, lime and pickled vegetables to use as toppings. I used all but the pickled veggies. This curry sauce, made with a touch of coconut cream (as well as coconut milk) has the most velvety texture and divine flavor (combined with the red curry paste) which sets the tone for this almost tropical, hearty dish. I wish I had some right now (and mind you, it’s 10:24am)!! You are not going to find this on every Thai restaurants menu so this dish alone is reason enough to go! Make your reservation, NOW.


PAD SE EW


This dish is my childhood favorite and Lotus of Siam has it down pat. I had never even tried Phad Thai until my adult years because I couldn’t pull myself away from this stir fried, wide rice noodle dish. It is made with eggs, Chinese broccoli (which I love), soy sauce and a meat of your choice. We got chicken this time. I can usually judge the mark of a good Thai restaurant by the texture of the meat in the noodle dishes. If the meat is dry and rubbery, I can tell that the ingredients being used are not so fresh. If the meat is tender and juicy (and it most certainly was), I can tell that the food I am eating is of high quality, made with the utmost care. Lotus of Siam definitely cares. You will feel that love in every bite. 


Keep in mind that most dishes on the menu can be made to your desired “heat” level. These are “authentic” heat levels (sorry to put it this way, but not “dumbed down” for Americans) so, be conservative if you handle spice like an American (like ME- haha)! Actually, most of my American friends can handle way more spice than I can so, let’s just say that I order a #2. The spice scale goes up to 10. Inch your way up at your own risk. My company was kind enough to let me order to my spice taste and happily added the spiciest of sauces to all of the dishes and smiled with tears in his eyes. Hahaha. Everyone can be satisfied here. 


My dear Vegas residents and travelers alike, I can’t impress upon you enough….you don’t want to miss out on this restaurant. It’s not a cheap outing but there is a very good reason for that. Please support this fantastic restaurant, this resilient family business and this victorious immigrant story. I have complete faith that you will be as delighted as I was. Reservations required. 


Lotus of Siam

620 E. Flamingo Rd

Las Vegas, NV 

*There is a Sahara location as well


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Blog #24: What Would Dylan Do?

Blog #13: Fresh out of Water