Blog #29: Egyptian Food: POTS-Restaurant Review

 



One positive result of food blogging is that it has made me more aware of my surroundings and I’m always looking for a new type of food to try and share with you all! This week, it was Egyptian food at the only Egyptian restaurant in Las Vegas called Pots. It caught my eye one day on my weekly drive to Trader Joes and I took a picture of it while at a stop light to remind myself to check it out soon. Let me tell ya, I’m so glad I did!


You might be asking yourself, “What exactly IS Egyptian food?” Well, I’m so glad you asked! It’s actually a mix of all of the different cultures of people’s food that have settled in the country from the earliest civilizations of the Middle East, to the eastern Mediterranean. You might be surprised to see many familiar dishes with a slightly different twist! I was delighted by everything I tried as I’ve always been a big fan of Middle Eastern food and the flavor palate that accompanies it. 


First off, this is a very tiny place that invokes a feeling of walking into an Egyptian families living room.


A bookshelf is filled with various books on the surrounding places foods and cultures, a coffee table is encircled by a sectional couch with a small, brass mortar and pestle, reminiscent of something used in ancient days and the hanging lights shine through beautiful, brass, cutouts that reminded me of what one would find at the Bazaars in Istanbul.


There was something about all of it that was very welcoming and cozy.  


Pickled Eggplant


This dish was one of my favorites, although I feel that the name could be misleading. When something is pickled, it tends to have a slightly sour flavor due to vinegar and the process it has to go through. However, imagine the most perfect piece of marinated and grilled eggplant with the most impeccable texture with garlic, jalapeño, lime and vinegar (this flavor comes last) and you have this lovely little  cold side dish or appetizer. Not too spicy, not too sour but juuuussstt right! I’m not gonna lie, I could’ve made a meal of this. 



Falafel Samosas


Wow! Talk about a marriage of two delicious worlds! These are basically your Indian style samosas, stuffed with falafel batter (don’t worry, it cooks up just fine in there!) and harissa (a spicy condiment, however, these are not too spicy!), drizzled with a red bell pepper sauce. These are fried to perfection, keeping them light and crispy and the flavors are balanced in the most divine way. These are a MUST TRY. 


Charred Baba Ganoush


This was probably the best Baba Ganoush I have ever had. I’m not exaggerating. For those who are unfamiliar, this is a dish made of flamed eggplant mixed with tahini (sesame paste) and roasted red peppers. It’s best when scooped up with a piece of pita bread. It’s light, smoky, creamy and absolutely addicting! Another must try! 


Hummus


Most of you are familiar with hummus and this one is up there in taste and texture, However, I was so taken by the eggplant dishes that this ended up taking a little bit of a back seat. The owner was very surprised that it wasn't in my top 3 (because it was very good) but, it just didn’t stand out like the other dishes. 


Their “famous” Cauliflower


This was a part of a mixed platter that we ordered and I’m so glad they snuck it in there because it was totally scrumptious! They have it in a salad, in a sandwich and it’s featured in it’s very own platter as well and it is not to be missed. I honestly don’t know how they make it (it’s a secret!), but it’s dark in color and the perfect combo of soft and crispy in texture. Yum. 


Taamia


This is the Egyptian version of falafel, made with fava beans instead of garbanzo means. Honestly, it was my least favorite thing that I tried. It wasn’t the flavor, I just thought they were too dense and dry. Perhaps, because of the different bean used, that is how it’s supposed to be! It just wasn’t my personal preference. 



Koshari


When I told Chef Iman  (a hip, young Egyptian woman who has been in Las Vegas for 15 years) that I was a foodblogger, she immediately smiled and said with excitement, “You HAVE to try Koshari!”.  She described it as a typical Egyptian street food, influenced by India, Italy and the Mediterranean. I was intrigued! What she brought out was a small, round cup, layered with rice and beans, tomato sauce, macaroni, chick peas and fried onions! There was something really whimsical about this dish! Almost like a garbage can of all of the leftovers thrown into one bin! But it certainly didn’t taste like garbage! I could just imagine the locals of Egypt roaming the streets on a Friday night, ending an evening of festivities with this little cup of mixed goodness. I bet it would help you sleep a little better and have sweeter dreams. ;) The chef did not charge us for this, it was her gift to us. This showed me something about the culture; warm, kind and gracious. 



Did I mention that all of these delicious foods I’ve just described for you are VEGAN? Who said Vegan food can’t be ridiculously tasty?! It most certainly is, and was. So to my fellow Vegas peeps and travelers, put this restaurant on your list to try very, very soon. I know I’ll be back and I’ll be focusing on those samosas and eggplant!! A heartfelt thank you to the chef for her kindness and generosity. This is the kind of establishment you will want to support. Eat clean, my friends. It’s not hard when it’s THIS good. 


POTS 

1745 S. Rainbow Blvd. Suite A

Las Vegas, NV 89146

702-754-6200

Hours: 11am-6pm 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Blog #24: What Would Dylan Do?

Blog #13: Fresh out of Water