Blog #38: Puck’s Bar and Grill- Restaurant Review

 



It’s hard to believe today, with the wide variety of restaurants from all countries, cultures and demographics that litter this city, but it wasn’t until the 90’s that the foodie scene took Las Vegas by storm. The first celebrity chef to come to this city and open a restaurant was Wolfgang Puck. He spearheaded the movement and led the way for a vast array of chefs to open up eateries on Las Vegas Boulevard, among the lights, the glitz and the glamour with the likes of Michael Mina, Giada, Tom Colicchio and Gordon Ramsay, just to name a few. 


Wolfgang Puck is an Austrian-American chef and restauranteur who moved to the US in his 20’s. He first opened Spago in LA in 1982. He now has about 6 restaurants in Las Vegas, one of which I had the pleasure of dining at recently. 


Pucks Bar and Grill is located inside the MGM Grand and is one of his more casual establishments, but don’t let your eyes deceive you. The quality of the food is second to none.  While the price tag is not small, if you want a meal where every single aspect of it will blow your mind, this is the place to go. You will basically find California inspired, American cuisine which covers everything from comfort food to coastal options. 



We started with the oven baked garlic bread made with herbed butter, chili and Italian parsley. I can say, with the utmost confidence, that this was the best garlic bread I’ve ever had in my life. That’s a big statement to make, right? Maybe it’s because I don’t actually know how much butter was on it (I don’t really need to know either!) but it was divine. I am a firm believer in “order what you don’t make at home when you’re out and enjoy every second of it” so that is just exactly what I did. 



Next, I had the hamachi sashimi with Fresno peppers, cucumber, cilantro and blood oranges in a light, yuzu sauce. Hamachi (yellowtail) is my all time favorite fish to eat, raw. It makes the best sashimi because of its delicate, moist texture and it pairs beautifully with jalapeños or any thinly sliced  chili pepper with the contrast of a light, citrus sauce. I could eat this dish everyday. It is just the perfect combination of flavors and it is very nutritious to boot. If you enjoy sashimi and a balance of flavors, you just cant go wrong with this dish. 




Also on our table was the Chinois Chicken Salad, strewn with candied cashews and crisp wontons, topped with a mustard vinaigrette. Oh my. Could a salad taste any better? I even got subtle hints of ginger (which must have been in the dressing). This could have been the only thing I tried and I would have left satisfied. How often can you say that about a salad? The vegetables were crisp and fresh, the chicken was moist and the dressing wasn’t overpowering or drowning the salad itself. Perfection.



Last but not least was the three cheese mac-n-cheese, side dish. Oh boy. They may call this a side, but not only did I have leftovers, I ate them for 2 more meals! Creamy with a crispy breadcrumb topping and cheeses that were packed with flavor (if I were to guess, I would say fontina, gruyere and white cheddar?). This may push you into a food coma, but it’s a food coma heaven of sorts. I’ve only ever made homemade mac-n-cheese once in my life, so I give myself a pass to just go for it once in a while if I see it on a menu. Have I mentioned that I love cheese? ;)


I don’t know what more to say besides that you should try this restaurant, or any Wolfgang Puck restaurant for that matter! It’s no surprise that he has been a celebrated and successful chef, internationally, for decades and decades. Whether it’s the quality of the ingredients, the combination of the flavors or just the years of experience, you will be impressed and in awe of every single bite. Make your reservation today, and then come back and let me know what you think! Enjoy your culinary adventure!


Puck Bar and Grill

3799 Las Vegas Boulevard 

Las Vegas, NV 89109

*located inside the MGM Grand Resort

702-891-3000


Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Blog #24: What Would Dylan Do?

Blog #13: Fresh out of Water