Blog #40: Meraki Greek Grill- A Restaurant Review

 



When I lived in Astoria, Queens (NYC), I was told that it was the city with the neighborhood with the largest Greek population outside of Greece. I’m not sure if that is statistically true, but based on the demographics and the stellar Greek restaurants on every other corner, I wouldn’t be surprised at all. You can imagine my delight when a cozy little Greek cafe opened up right on my walk between my apartment and the subway. For the first few months of operation, that establishment didn’t have a menu but would just serve dishes based on what was fresh at the Farmers Market that week, and I was totally charmed by that concept.The owner would stand close to the door and literally usher you in off of the streets with his boisterous personality, jovial spirit and warm smile. I didn’t mind not knowing what was being offered on any given night because it was always so  delicious! I just love Greek food, and even if my walk from my place to my public transportation was a good 10 minutes (at a brisk pace) I have fond memories of living in Astoria and those times in my life. 


Greek,Turkish, Middle Eastern and even Egyptian (as I recently found out) food definitely have some crossovers when it comes to dishes, sides, and flavors profiles. hummus, tzatziki (Greek cucumber yogurt sauce), meat skewers (kalamaki or souvlaki), baba ganoush and pita bread are just a few things that you might find in those regions. Today I’d like to highlight a simple, fresh and clean meal that I got to enjoy at Meraki Greek Grill in Las Vegas. 


Meraki is a tiny, unassuming, counter service eatery with the most authentic and lovely Greek food at very competitive prices. At my table were three dishes that I would recommend to anyone trying this place out for the first time. 


VILLAGE GREEK SALAD WITH CHICKEN KALAMAKI




This salad was pleasing in every way. Popping with gorgeous colors, filled with crisp vegetables and topped with a perfectly marinated and tender chicken skewer called kalamaki (same as souvlaki, for those who are familiar with the latter). I could probably eat that everyday! Now, don’t be surprised by the fact that traditional Greek salads do not use lettuce! The friendly cashier made sure to remind me (as I assume they get some complaints from people who are not already in the know about that fact) but I assure you, it was still packed with nutrition and you would’t miss the lettuce at all. The salad had bright red, juicy tomatoes in big chunks, Persian cucumbers (the tiny ones), hearty squares of authentic feta, kalamata olives, pepporoncini and (although not listed on the menu) crisp, fresh radish. There was also plenty of fresh, chopped parsley on the salad. The Greek vinaigrette was so tasty and dressed the salad perfectly. I hate it when a salad is drowning in dressing. This was not the case at all. As a side note, you have to add the kalamaki to the salad when you order it (it doesn’t already come that way).Do it. It’s the perfect accompaniment to the dish. I ordered a small and with the chicken, it was filling enough to be a meal on it's own. 


MERAKI SIGNATURE BOWL WITH QUINOA AND CHICKEN KALAMAKI




Also at the table was this signature bowl, filled with all kinds of mouth watering treats. In this bowl, you could find all of the elements of the Greek salad, chopped into finer bits, plus lettuce, quinoa, and chickpeas. It also came with tzatziki sauce on the side (as did the salad so perhaps it was  for the kalamaki?), which was so creamy and divine. Greek yogurt is known for its thick and creamy texture so you could just imagine how delicious tzatziki made of that would be. This was another hit and a bit more filling than the salad if you’re looking for something a little heartier. 


FRENCH FRIES



Yes, these are worth the mention. Have you ever ordered french fries at a Greek place? If not, it’s a must. I always do, simply because they are the most perfect texture you will ever find in a fry and the secret behind it is, double frying! So, sooooo, good. Also, I love dipping them in zatzkiki sauce so, that’s just an added bonus. The contrast of the crispiness of the fry and the rich, creaminess of the sauce is so very pleasing. 


I actually can’t recommend this place highly enough! It’s authentic, fresh, healthy and affordable food in a casual and friendly setting. It made me feel like I was back in Astoria, Queens, if only for a minute. 


Meraki Greek Grill

4950 S. Rainbow Boulevard Ste. 160

Las Vegas, NV 89118

702-202-1002

No reservations required

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Blog #24: What Would Dylan Do?

Blog #13: Fresh out of Water